9.11.2010

Remembering 9/11

September 11th, a day that will live in infamy. This is the "John F. Kennedy assassination moment" of my generation. Everyone my age will look back on that sad day nine years ago and remember exactly where they were and how they felt at that moment. For me, it's like it was yesterday. I was a junior sitting in Mr. Ramey's office as a teacher assistant when a friend poked his head in to tell us a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. I had the same initial reaction as my teacher: it must have been a small one-pilot plane that flew off course. We quickly saw how wrong we were.

It wasn't until I saw the Towers fall that I actually understood the gravity of the day. I spent the rest of the school day watching the news of the event, unsure of what it meant for our country and the millions of people it personally affected. I remember my history teacher said she bet Osama bin Laden had a part in the tragedy. It was the first time I heard his name, but definitely not the last.

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children.” -President George W. Bush


Where were you when the planes crashed into the Twin Towers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin