5.07.2010

Guggenheim

Lately, I've developed a huge crush on the Guggenheim in New York. {but much love to the others, too.}


On view now:
Paris and the Avant-Garde: Modern Masters from the Guggenheim Collection
"feature[s] some thirty paintings from the Guggenheim Collection by such artists as Georges Braque, Marc Chagall, Robert Delaunay, Albert Gleizes, Juan Gris, Pablo Picasso, Fernand Léger, Joan Miró, and Yves Tanguy, among others, as well as showcase a significant group of sculpture by Constantin Brancusi and Alexander Calder. The exhibition is curated by Tracey Bashkoff, Curator of Collections and Exhibitions, and Megan Fontanella, Assistant Curator."

I would LOVE to see this. Or any of their other exhibits. I grew up going to the Art Institute in Chicago on field trips and still try to make at least an annual trip there, but I have never been to any art museums in New York. {My one trip to the city consisted of all things "touristy": a visit to the Empire State Building, Central Park Zoo, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and lots of shopping.}

A few friends and I are trying to plan a road trip to the East Coast this summer. We're talking about starting in Chicago and driving to Memphis, Philadelphia, New York and Boston. If we do make it to New York, a trip to the Guggenheim is a must. {I'm also hoping my sister in Poughkeepsie can take the train down and meet us.}

Also, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York was designed by one of my favorite architects: Frank Lloyd Wright. {And yes, I also have an intense love and appreciation for architecture.}




{image is Pablo Picasso Mandolin and Guitar, found here}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin