2.23.2013

Planning for D.C.




In a month or so, I will be landing in Washington D.C. to spend time with my best friend and satisfy my nerdy history side. I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I am to be making this trip. It's basically been in the works for a year now, but the timing, and airplane ticket price, was never right. The deadline for a visit was approaching fast as Jessi, my aforementioned best friend, moves across country in May so... I booked the flight. It's perfect timing, really. The end of March marks the beginning of Cherry Blossom Festival season, something that I've always wanted to experience. Also, no doubt the weather will be hella nicer in Washington D.C. than the Midwest during that time of the year. {For all I know, the Midwest could be in the middle of a blizzard in April.} 

Also, as I have mentioned, HUGE HISTORY NERD! There's no where else for someone like me to go to soak in as much history than in D.C.. While I fully expect to spend as much time with my dear best friend as possible, I also have a full itinerary of historical sites and museums to visit while she is busy at work. {Thank goodness I figured out that Metro the last time I was in D.C..} Her fiance is also a big history geek so.... field trip! As a history teacher, I also hope to bring back great photographs and interesting nuggets of information to share with my students. 

A few sites and scenes I want to take in while in D.C.:
The Cherry Blossom Festival
Eastern Market flea market
Monuments: Lincoln, Washington, etc. 
Memorials: WWII, Vietnam, Korea, etc. 
Every single Smithsonian 
John F. Kennedy Center For Performing Arts
White House, Capitol building and Supreme Court
National Holocaust Museum 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin