6.21.2010

I Know Why the Caged Bird

The caged bird sings
with fearful trill
of the things unknown
but longed for still
and is tune is heard
on the distant hill for the caged bird
sings of freedom

Align Center

Incredible. I’ve heard so much about Maya Angelou over the years but had never read her work. Finally, I decided to pick up a few of her autobiographies. {Well, it's really only one autobiography split into four books.} I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings was incredibly written, but the story told was amazing. The obstacles she overcame in her life were immense but nowhere in the book does she ask for sympathy, but instead embraces her past as fond memories that brought her where she is now. I think I finished her first book in less than two days; I couldn’t put it down. I have a few books waiting for me next, but I’m sure I’ll get to more Maya Angelou soon.

She is an inspiration.

"Love is that condition in the human spirit so profound that it allows me to survive, and better than that, to thrive with passion, compassion, and style."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"A cynical young person is almost the saddest sight to see, because it means that he or she has gone from knowing nothing to believing nothing."



{image via bbc}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin