2.15.2011

Interesting afternoon at the Chicago Cultural Center

About a month ago, I went to the Chicago Cultural Center with my friend. As we were wandering through photography exhibits, we passed an area that looked like an art studio, but we weren’t sure. He walked in. It turned out to be a Project Onward studio dedicated to the creative growth of artists with mental or developmental disabilities. {Read more about Project Onward here. It is truly an incredible program for artists with special needs.}

As my friend and I were browsing work in the gallery, we found an exhibit that we both really liked. The artist, Stephon Doby {definitely not pronounced Steven}, painted mostly portraits in a simple, yet clever way. I really liked the colors and focus on typically unnoticed details. Bill and I told one of the directors how much we enjoyed Doby’s work and so he insisted that we meet the artist.

I’m not quite sure how it came to happen, but I ended up getting my portrait painted by Stephon Doby. It was an experience that I won’t forget, especially because it was the first, and most likely the last, time I got my portrait painted. It doesn’t really look like me, but I love it just the same.

Bill and I were joking that next time we visit the Chicago Cultural Center it will be his turn to get a portrait painted. It may become a tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin