2.27.2011

Learning sign language

I work with several children with learning disabilities and speech impairments so to communicate with those children, I have been learning sign language. As a Girl Scout many, many years ago, I took classes in sign language, but I’m sad to say I don’t remember much so I’m starting fresh. I’m surprised that it’s much easier than I thought it would be. Most signs are very practical and almost what you would expect. Of course, I’m also working with very young children so I’m not learning any complex words at this time. I picked up a book on sign language the other day and plan on trying to learn one or two new signs every day. I really enjoy learning the language and I’m happy that I’m better able to communicate with my children now and can help them increase their communication abilities also.



{image via weheartit.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin