9.07.2011

Reconnecting with college friends

It's true that after high school you lose touch with friends. After college, the same threat is there, but you're much more willing to fight for your friendships. Maybe it's because you can connect to these friends on a deeper level or they were there when you truly made your transformation from young to adult. Either way, you try harder. After graduating from college, my best friends scattered across the country for work, graduate school, medical school, marriage and other reasons. However, unlike many friends from high school, I think we've done a great job keeping in touch, even if it is wicked hard. 


One of my best friends from college, and my "cousin" {actually, my cousins' cousin, but we great up together}, Danny, was back in town this past weekend. He moved out to Charleston, South Carolina a few years ago for a medical physicist residency at a hospital. He loves it there so much that I'm not sure we're ever going to get him back in the Midwest. Since Dan got a rare chance to visit back home, we all got together for a cookout and bonfire to reminisce of college days and enjoy each other's company. It was a great opportunity to see a lot of friends from college that I haven't seen in years! {It was also a bit weird to hear what they were all up to in their lives now. It's so crazy to hear that the guy you always found passed out in a bar on any even week night is now a successful lawyer.} 


I hope we get to do a lot more of this in the future. Then, we'll be able to hang out without first answering the essential questions: "Where do you live? What are you up to now?" Also, I miss college and those friends a ton. I'm going to try a lot harder to keep in touch, as I'm sure Dan will also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin