7.03.2010

Book Review: And Then There Were None


Lately, I've been trying to explore all things literary. Instead of my typical depressing non-fiction choices, usually focused on war or ill-treatment of groups of people, I decided to give fiction a try.

I haven't read a mystery since my slight obsession with Trixie Belden and the Boxcar Children during my Elementary years, so I thought it was the perfect time to try the genre out again. My mom has over a hundred mysteries on her shelves easy. Probably hundreds actually. (She has at least two copies of every Agatha Christie murder mystery.) Since Christie captured my mom's heart so easily (along with millions of other readers- she is by far the bestselling murder mystery author), I decided I would read her first.

I read Agatha Christie's novel And Then There Were None. And I can honestly tell you, the book was ten times better than the movie or anything else it spawned. Her writing is clear and simple, but you can tell she is weaving a twisted mystery behind it. The characters are so well-written and the story so thought through, that the entire time I was trying to solve the crimes, I kept changing my mind. It is full of fantastic, mind-boggling little twists.

I think next, I'd like to meet her character Hercule Poirot and see if I can solve the Murder on the Orient Express before him. Just fantastic writing.




{image via agathachristie.com}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin