2.23.2010

Mwaramutse, friends

Today is a very sad day. Today one of my best friends leaves for Peace Corps in Rwanda.


After a short stay in Philadelphia and New York, Jessi will fly to Africa, to her home for the next twenty-seven months. Jessi, who majored in public health, is going to work with non-governmental organizations to increase and strengthen HIV education, prevention and care.

While I am incredibly excited for her, I'm really sad that she's leaving. I still can't believe she's going- or at least so soon. When we used to sit at coffee shops talking about the Peace Corps, it always seemed so long away. {My friend Jillian is already in South America for Peace Corps!} I'm going to miss her so much when she's gone. I know I didn't so the best job keeping in touch when she was in Washington D.C. and I was in Chicago, but it was a comfort to know that I could get a hold of her at any time.

At least I got to spend a lot of time with her this past week before she left {we spent a day together in Chicago and a weekend in Milwaukee}.

Even though I am quite sad I won't see Jessi for a bit, I am incredibly excited for her. What an experience working with NGOs in Rwanda will be! We were talking about some friends making a trip to Africa to visit Jessi, but I'm not sure I could travel so far. But after hearing about her amazing adventures, you never know!

Urugendo Rwiza, Jessi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin