8.17.2011

Angela's Ashes


I've never before read a memoir that ached my heart so much to read- both because of humor and sorrow. Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt is a powerfully written story that depicts the troubled childhood of a strong-willed boy in New York City and Limerick, Ireland. I was amazed by the details captured in McCourt's memory and also the way he is able to recall those memories though a child's innocent mind as if they passed only yesterday. His story is one of survival that you will not be able to put down.

According to Vanessa V. Friedmann from Entertainment Weekly, "The power of this memoir is that it makes you believe the claim: that despite the rags and hunger and pain, love and strength do come out of misery- as well as a page-turner of a book. And through the experience it tells of was an individual, the point- and the story- is universal."

This is not a light or quick read, but definitely a book that hooked me immediately. I listened to his book Teacher Man during my rides to and from school {this is the the third installment of his memoirs, focusing on his teaching pedagogy}. I also bought his second book 'Tis. I know I'm reading them a bit out of order, but I'm looking forward to getting started on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin