1.19.2009

Sad Movies, Sad Books

Last night I watched Life as a House. It is about the relationship between a father and son, an excellent but very, very sad movie. It's one of my favorites.

After I stopped crying, I realized that I have a tendency to watch sad movies and read depressing books. My mother has actually told me several times that I need to start reading happier books. She was very excited when I read the Harry Potter series; unfortunately, there are only seven stories and I eventually had to go back to my style of books.

A few upsetting books that I have read within the last year:

Life Laid Bare by Jean Hatzfeld
Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Blood Diamonds by Greg Campbell
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
A Thousand Splendid Suns and Kite Runner by Khaled Housseini
Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi

This is only a small portion of the list...

1 comment:

  1. I like sad music, but happy books and happy movies. (Well, mostly happy movies, sometimes I throw in things like Revolutionary Road.) I wonder what that says about you, me, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin