5.29.2010

book review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society



her niece Annie Barrows is a great, light summer read.

I really appreciate the different and original approach to a story of German occupation during WWII. I had never heard anything about the Occupation of the Channel Islands either. Shaffer researched the area and history well to make the story and characters realistic and likable. It's definitely a love story, but Shaffer and Barrows do a great job folding that into an interesting, even if predictable at times, story. I also love that it's written in correspondence form. I can actually picture the characters sitting down at their desks writing. Very refreshing.

When I checked it out from the library, the librarian said many women her age {I'd guess about 50} were borrowing it lately. I can see that. If you're looking for an easy book to read while sitting outside on a sunny afternoon, I definitely recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin